Current Job Opportunity
Open Until Filled
Deputy Marshal - OPS/ Part time (as needed basis)
First District Court of Appeal, Tallahassee, FL
This is a sworn law enforcement position. The Deputy Marshal provides security services to protect the Judges, courthouse staff members, visitors and physical court facilities. This includes perimeter security, access control, closed circuit television surveillance and alarm reporting systems.
The position is responsible for screening visitors, monitoring activity utilizing video surveillance equipment, patrolling building and grounds, managing emergency situations, assisting with training of security personnel, and performing related clerical tasks. The incumbent is responsible for the pursuit, apprehension and arrest of violators of the law within the building, grounds, and state-wide locations while on duty for the First District Court of Appeal.
The examples of work listed herein are meant to be illustrative of the duties of a security officer II.
- Screen visitors to court building utilizing x-ray and scanning equipment to ensure absence of dangerous material or weapons;
- Monitors activity in the courthouse and on the grounds using video surveillance equipment;
- Performs periodic patrols of building and grounds to ensure safety and security of area of responsibility;
- Provides assistance with fire safety and emergency evacuations in compliance with state and federal regulations;
- Interacts with the public, fellow workers and other occupants of the building, providing information/directives and assistance as required;
- Performs clerical tasks, such as writing incident reports, responding to emails, making journal entries into the computer security system or maintaining records;
- Keep the peace and pursue and apprehension violators of the law within the building, grounds, and state-wide locations while on duty for the First District Court of Appeal.
Education and Training Guidelines
High school diploma or GED, and one year of college or vocational school education in law enforcement. Requires valid State of Florida Driver's License and Weapons Permit, and successful completion of the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission’s Basic Recruit Law Enforcement Course. Must have the current law enforcement certification in the State of Florida.
Three years experience in court security and/or law enforcement or related experience in the military.
Requires continuous and close attention to detail.
Carries a firearm and must meet and maintain high standards which are measured by the FDLE law enforcement officer firearms qualification course. Ensuring the safe conduct of judicial proceedings and protecting the Judges and other members of the judicial family are principal functions of this position.
If you need an accommodation in order to participate in the application/selection process, please call (850)488-8136 in advance. We are an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability.
How to Apply
Submit a current and complete State of Florida application and resume to:
First District Court of Appeal
2000 Drayton Drive
Tallahassee, Florida 32399
State of Florida applications are available at the First District Court of Appeal, or on the web site. Application packages are not accepted by email or FAX.